Last modified 02 January, 2024
Your privacy is important to philosophy inc. and its affiliates (“philosophy”, “we” or “us”) and we are committed to protecting your personal information. this Privacy Notice (“Notice”) relates to our use of your personal information when you:
- use our website and provide us with your personal information through philosophybeauty.co.uk;
- register for our rewards program;
- interact with us through social media, adverts or content on third party websites;
- interact with us in person by attending a philosophy event; and/or
- otherwise engage with us, for example by contacting our customer services department.
This Notice explains who we are; what personal information we collect about you; how we use it (including who we share that personal information with) and your rights and choices regarding your personal information.
If you have any questions or concerns about our use of your personal information, then please contact us using the contact details provided in the section below marked “how do I contact philosophy?”.
Who is philosophy?
we are a wellbeing beauty brand specializing in skin care, fragrance and body care products. philosophy is part of the Coty Inc group which is a world leading beauty company, making cosmetic, skincare and fragrances. for more information about Coty, visit their website https://www.coty.com/our-story/the-purpose-of-coty.
What Information Philosophy Collect About Me And Why?
We collect information that identifies, describes, or is reasonably capable of being associated with you (“personal information”). The following discusses the categories of personal information we collect and, the sources we collect information from, and the business or commercial purposes use of your personal information.
- To provide you with the products and services that you have requested - To administer our relationship with you and to carry out our obligations arising from the relationship between you and us, including internal accounting and administration purposes, to process payment for purchases or other services and to create and manage your account.
To provide you with products and services we may collect:
- Such as a real name, alias, postal address, unique personal identifier, online identifier, Internet Protocol address, email address, account name, or other similar identifiers.
- Biometric information. For example, if you leave a review, enter a competition on the co.uk site or via social media when you tag philosophy, you may provide a photograph of yourself.
- Geoloaction data. For example, when you visit the philosophybeauty.co.uk site, engage with philosophy content or with us digitally, we may collect your broad geographic location (e.g. country or city-level location) from your Device.
- Commercial information. Records of products or services purchased, obtained, or considered, or other purchasing or consuming histories or tendencies.
- For analytics purposes - For example, we may analyze your personal information including your location, products and/or services requested, age, time zone, IP address and URL visited, against our wider customer base for internal business purposes, such as generating statistics and developing marketing plans, to improve our services and products and the website. We may also aggregate and de-identify your information to create customer segments and share with our affiliates and partners.
To perform analytics we may collect and process:
- To provide you with the products and services that you have requested- to administer our relationship with you and to carry out our obligations arising from the relationship between you and us, including internal accounting and administration purposes, to process payment for purchases or other services and to create and manage your rewards account.
- For tailored advertising - We, or with third party vendors, may use your personal information to provide you with tailored advertising on third party sites, including Social Sites. these advertisements are either: (i) “contextual" (meaning they are presented due to the webpage that you are viewing); or (ii) “behavioral advertising" or “interest based advertising" (i.e. where advertisements are shown to you based upon your interests which we have inferred from your information including demographic, geographic and interest-based data). we may use tailored advertising to specifically include or exclude individuals who have registered for our products to ensure that you are provided with information about those products that are most relevant to you. to do this, we may track your browsing activity across different websites, different Devices and/or different applications. we may match your browsing activity on one Device, such as your mobile phone, with your browsing activity on another device, such as your tablet, to ensure our advertising is tailored to you. if you no longer wish to see tailored advertising, you may be able to amend your cookie preferences through your browser settings. in addition, some third party sites allow you to stop seeing advertisements from specific advertisers on that site, so you should also check your preferences on those websites.
- To provide the best service to our customers - For example, we may use your personal information to process and respond to your questions and/or inquiries.
- For site optimization and management - For example we may use your personal information provided to us to:
- administer the philosophybeauty.co.uk website;
- ensure the security of our networks and of your information;
- customize your future visits to the philosophybeauty.co.uk site based on your interests to ensure the most user-friendly online navigation experience;
- improve the philosophybeauty.co.uk site and our other digital offerings (including to fix operational problems such as pages crashing and software bugs); and
- provide services to our partners such as tools, analyses, data and insights to see how their website or mobile applications are used.
- For product development and business development purposes - For example, we will use information we collect from you to improve our products and develop new products.
- For fraud prevention and detection purposes and to protect and defend the rights and property of Philosophy, our employees and business partners.
Does philosophy share or sell personal information with anyone?
We may disclose personal information about you to a third party for a business purpose. When we disclose personal information for a business purpose, we enter a contract that describes the purpose and requires the recipient to both keep that personal information confidential and not use it for any purpose except performing the contract. In the preceding twelve (12) months, we have disclosed we categories of third parties indicated in the chart below.
How Long Does Philosophy Keep My Personal Information?
We retain personal information in identifiable form only for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which the personal information was provided to us or, if longer, to comply with legal obligations, to resolve disputes, to enforce agreements and similar essential purposes. To determine the appropriate retention period for personal information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your personal information, the purposes for which we process your personal information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
What are my data protection rights?
Depending on where you live and subject to applicable data protection law, you may also have the following rights:
- The right to request access to personal information that we collect, use, disclose and sell, which enables you to receive confirmation as to whether or not we are processing your personal information and access to such personal information. please note, there are a growing number of states including California, Virginia, Colorado, Connecticut and Utah where, you have the right to request that we disclose certain information about our collection, use and sale of your personal information over the past 12 months, including specific pieces of information we collected. you have the right to make a request for free two times in any 12- month period.
- The right to change and/or correct inaccurate personal information. if you are a registered user, you can also review, change or correct your personal information at any time by logging in to your account by clicking the log-in link on philosophybeauty.co.uk. you may request that we deactivate your account by contacting us using the contact details provided in the section below “how do I contact philosophy?”.
- The right to block or suppress the processing your personal information.
- The right to object to our processing of your personal information (including any processing for direct marketing purposes). more information on how to stop receiving direct marketing can be found in the section below marked, “how do I stop receiving marketing communications?".
- The right to request that we delete your personal information, subject to certain exceptions.
- The right to opt-out of the sale of your personal information, subject to certain exceptions.
- The right to request portability of your personal information.
- The right to withdraw your consent, if applicable. withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent.
- If you exercise any of your data protection rights detailed in this section, we will not discriminate against you and we will not deny you goods or services, charge you a different price of provide you with a lesser quality of goods or services.
Our website may enable you to:
Submit content to Social Sites: for reviews, discussion forums, message boards, photographs, and other public features (“Public Forums"). we do not restrict the distribution of personal information that you voluntarily disclose in these Public Forums, so please be aware that any information you disclose there may be collected and used by us and others. for this reason, we encourage you to refrain from providing or sharing personal information about yourself in the Public Forums. we cannot prevent third parties from using such information in a way that may violate this Notice or applicable law;
Accept certain cookies from the Site (for example “Facebook Pixels”). these types of cookies help us understand your activity including the philosophy content you see, whether or not you have a Social Site account and if you are logged into that account. this information helps us to show you philosophy content you might be interested in on the Social Sites and measure the effectiveness of the philosophy content.
We may use your personal information to identify you on Social Sites and to show you ads that are more relevant for you. the Social Sites will not share your personal information with other parties and will delete the information promptly after the matching process is complete.
Opt-out Preference Signals
Through your browser configuration, our website honors your opt-out preference signal via Global Privacy Control. You can get further help in configuring your browser by visiting: https://globalprivacycontrol.org/
Right to Opt-out of the sale or sharing of Personal Information for Cross-Contextual Behavioral Advertising.
Residents of California, Colorado, Connecticut, Virginia, and Utah have or will soon have the right to opt-out of certain data sharing and usage arrangements, and may do so by either:
- Honoring your opt-out preference signal (GPC), or
- By completing the Contact Us form [https://philosophybeauty.co.uk/pages/contact], select “Data Privacy” in the drop down menu and enter the details you wish to opt out of.
Right to Limit Sensitive Personal Information Use. You have the right to limit the use of sensitive personal information regarding you.
Non-Discrimination. We will not discriminate against you for exercising any of your rights.
Personal Information Sales Opt-Out
If you are age 16 or older, you have the right to direct us to not sell personal information about you at any time (the "right to opt-out"). We do not sell the personal information of consumers we actually know are less than 16 years old, unless we receive affirmative authorization (the "right to opt-in") from either the consumer who is between 13 and 15 years old, or the parent or guardian of a consumer less than 13 years old. Consumers who opt-in to personal information sales may opt-out of future sales at any time.
Once you make an opt-out request, we will wait at least twelve (12) months before asking you to reauthorize personal information sales.
How do I stop receiving marketing communications?
We will only send you marketing communications if you have agreed to this, or if we are otherwise permitted by law. you may opt-out of receiving future opt-in communications from philosophybeauty.co.uk when you make a purchase on philosophybeauty.co.uk, register or otherwise provide your contact information to our customer service department. you may change your preferences at any time by revising your profile by unchecking the boxes for opt-in communications. you may also click the “unsubscribe” link at the bottom of any email opt-in communication you receive from us and follow the instructions provided therein.
Please note, whilst we will honor your request to stop receiving marketing communications, we will continue to send you service-related communications such as emails confirming purchases through the philosophybeauty.co.uk site and keep your information for record keeping purposes.
Is my personal information secure?
We understand that you care how your personal information is used and/or shared with others, and we value your trust and seek to safeguard your personal information.
We implement various security measures in accordance with industry standards to protect the security of your personal information both online and offline. if you have any questions about security on philosophybeauty.co.uk, you can contact us by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Does this Notice ever change?
We may update or modify this Notice from time to time in response to changing legal, technical or business developments. we will obtain your consent to any material Notice changes if and where this is required by applicable data protection laws. the date of the most recent version of this Notice will appear at the top of the page.
When we update our Notice, we will take appropriate measures to inform you, consistent with the significance of the changes we make. for example, we will notify you of any changes to this Notice by posting a new Notice and updating the “last modified" date at the top of this page or by sending the new Notice to you via email, where appropriate.
How do I contact philosophy?
We have taken great measures to ensure that your visit to philosophybeauty.co.uk is an excellent one and that your privacy is respected. if you have any questions, comments, or concerns about our privacy practices and/or would like to submit a privacy request, please contact us either:
sending an email to: email@example.com
via the Contact Us form [https://philosophybeauty.co.uk/pages/contact] on the Philosophybeauty.co.uk site.
For data protection questions, please email: firstname.lastname@example.org
For UK residents, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Data Protection Commission. Further information including contact details can be found at https://ico.org.uk